Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a multi-purpose arena located in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.Opened in August 2017 as a substitute for the Georgia Dome, it serves as the residence arena of the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL) as well as Atlanta United FC of Big League Football (MLS). The arena is possessed by the state federal government of Georgia via the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, as well as operated by AMB Group, the parent company of the Falcons and Atlanta United. In June 2016, the overall price of its building was estimated at US$ 1.6 billion.
The arena formally opened up on August 26, 2017 with a Falcons preseason video game against the Arizona Cardinals, despite the retracting roofing system being insufficient at the time.Several events previously held at the Georgia Dome moved to Mercedes-Benz Stadium following its completion, including the SEC football national championship and the Peach Bowl. In 2018, it hosted the University Football Playoff National Championship as well as the MLS Cup (as Atlanta United held house area advantage), as well as it hosted Super Bowl LIII in 2019. It will certainly hold the 2020 NCAA Final 4.
The stadium’s trademark attribute is its retractable roofing system, which includes a pinwheel containing 8 transparent, triangular panels. Each of the eight panels operates 2 directly, parallel rails; one rail is responsible for relocating the panel while the various other rail supports the panel.Closing the roofing takes a little much less time than opening up the roof covering, because the roofing has to disengage the seals at the start of the opening procedure and also decrease towards the end to stop the panels from obtaining derailed.  When opened, the panels are developed to create the impression of a bird’s wings expanded.
Engineer Costs Johnson described that the round opening in the roof was inspired by the Roman Pantheon (Pantheon was likewise the functioning name for the building layout). The roof covering was designed to be made of a clear, lightweight polymer product that can readjust its opacity to regulate light, as well as much of the outside is clear polymer or glass to permit views to the exterior. The middle concourse and top bowl were removed in the eastern end line to allow for an unhampered view of the Atlanta sky line.
Listed below the roofing system is the Halo, an 58-by-1,100-foot (18 by 335 m), ring-shaped video board around its rim. Treatment an overall area of 62,350 square feet (5,793 m2), it was defined by supplier Daktronics as being three times as huge as the present largest solitary display board in the NFL mounted at EverBank Area in Jacksonville (also built by Daktronics). Daktronics additionally mounted greater than 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2) of other LED boards, consisting of field-level billboard for football games.
The arena’s roofing can be kept open under light rainfall, as the electric systems for all video boards in the arena are outdoor-rated, and also the area has a drain system. AMB Group elderly exec Mike Egan went as far as explaining Mercedes-Benz Arena as an outside stadium with a roofing system over it because of these characteristics, however that other elements such as humidity and also outside temperature levels would be considered on whether or not the roofing would be opened.
- In June 2016, the total cost of its construction was estimated at US$ 1.6 billion.
- According to the master plan, the stadium would have a maximum capacity of 71,000, but can expand to 75,000 for special events such as the Super Bowl.
- They also reported on September 10 that Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed said site improvements could likely bump the total cost to US$1.2 billion; however, that does not increase the actual building cost, which still remains at an estimated US$948 million.
- It is higher than Passion’s 2017 event in the Georgia Dome, which held an estimated 50,000 people.[ citation needed
Falcons, United games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium to be played without fans through September 2020 – AtlantaFalcons.com (atlantafalcons.com)
- “The health and safety of our fans is our top priority,” said Steve Cannon, CEO, AMB Sports and Entertainment.
- “As much as we want to bring our Falcons and Atlanta United fans together at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, their safety and wellbeing, and that of our associates, the competitors, officials and game staff, and our community as a whole will always come first.
- After thoughtful consideration and collaboration, it became clear to us that adhering to the guidance by national and local health officials was the right decision.
- leadership has taken important precautions to protect the health and safety of its associates.